Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Royals Sign Former Yank Ponson

Are the Kansas City Royals attempting to build a bigger fan base in the Netherlands or are they just trying to give up more runs this season? Well good news KC fans your team should accomplish both by bringing in pitcher Sidney Ponson to camp on a minor league contract.

This made me wonder why do teams continue to bring in pitchers who are virtually assured not to be productive on the field. Here’s a list of 5 veterans who are in big league camps this year who fit the bill.

With these kinds of numbers and that many innings thrown I don’t want to hear about "potential", "catching lightning in a bottle", or "veteran experience." What good are those things when you can’t get anyone out? I understand the need to fill roster spots on the big club and in all the minor league levels but I’m sure there’s a number of pitchers out there who are 10 years younger that can give teams a high 4 ERA. I just don’t see the benefit to teams giving the Sidney Ponsons’ of the world a shot year after year but there has to be a reason. What am I missing?

-Robb Lennahan

No comments:

Post a Comment